About Our School
At the invitation of the Archbishop of Hobart, St Virgil’s College was founded by the Christian Brothers in 1911 at Barrack Street as a boarding school for the boys of Tasmania and as a day school for Hobart boys.
The College, when founded, overlooked the centre of Hobart. It was formally opened on January 22 1911.
On January 28, 1911, the first boarder, Master Phillip O'Reilly, of Geeveston, arrived. He was greeted by the first day-boy, Master Leo Doyle, the father of the previous Archbishop of Hobart, the Most Reverend Adrian Doyle.
In 1962, a junior secondary campus was opened at Austins Ferry and with it the gradual transition of secondary classes from the Barrack Street campus.
In 1970, the boarding section of the College was closed, and since that time St Virgil’s has been a day school only.
In 1996, St Virgil's College and St Peter's School, on a central site next to St Mary's Cathedral, amalgamated to be called St Virgil's College.
St Virgil's College offers schooling for boys from Grades 3 to Grade 10. Grades 7 - 10 are at the senior school campus at Austins Ferry and Junior School students from Grade 3 - 6 are located on the former St Peter's School site in central Hobart.
Part of our history is reflected in our strong College houses.