At this College, lifelong friendships are formed and memories etched. Old boys of St Virgil's College maintain a pride and loyalty in their College and many continue to meet regularly. The College also boasts an:
- Old Virgilians Association
- Old Scholars Football Club - The Saints
- Athletics Club - Southern Saints
- Cricket Club - contact President, Stephen Bourke
St Virgil’s has over 10,000 ex students proud to be called Old Virgilians.
The Old Virgilians association was established in May 1917 as a way for Old Virgilians to met regularly and keep in touch with news about the College.
The association holds bi-monthly luncheons at Austins Ferry. Regular reunions are also held for particular year groups across Tasmania and Mainland Australia as well as Overseas, particularly in London. The association’s Annual Dinner is held in October of each year.
The President of the association is Mr Michael Harvey.
News of Old Virgilians is circulated through Words and Deeds, published twice each year, with many past editions also posted on this website.
If you are interested in news of the Old Virgilians Association, or becoming a member of the Association, or if you are simply seeking details of coming events, please contact the OVA Secretary on mailto:email@example.com
Information about the OVA can be accessed via their website http://www.oldvirgilians.org.au/
Heritage Roll of Honour
The award ceremony, which has been held in conjunction with The Old Virgilians Annual Dinner since 2006, was established to recognise Old Virgilians who have demonstrated outstanding ability and excellence in their lifetime achievements and who have contributed so much to building the traditions and spirit of St Virgil’s College. They represent the product and dedication of its founders – The Christian Brothers.
In late October each year a number of prominent Old Virgilians are recognised by their peers at the annual Old Virgilians Association Dinner. Details of all inductees plus their biography are listed below.
Inductees to the Heritage Roll of Honour
Members of the St Virgil's College community who have suggestions for inductees to the Heritage Roll of Honour should contact the OVA Archivist Graeme Rainbow - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dan Reardon Long term OVA Committee member, Senior Public servant (Quarantine Services)
- Pierre Slicer Legal Profession - Supreme Court Justice
- Thomas Muller Outstanding Humanitarian Works
- James Henderson Sports Administrator, Community Leader
- Mitch McPherson Founder and CEO of SPEAK UP! Stay ChatTY
2017 - No inductees were added during the OVA's Centenary year.
- Father Kevin Dance Diocesan Priest, Provincial Leader and UN NGO Official.
- Michael Hill Chief Magistrate
- Major Luke Jones Rhodes Scholar, Decorated Serviceman, Co-Founder Beastworx
- Tim Reid Managing Director Reid Fruits, OAM for services to industry
- Fr Michael Delaney Diocesan priest, industrial & naval chaplain, Member of the Council of Priests.
- Damien Geason Managing partner of legal firm and a Director of Common Ground Tasmania.
- Adrian Howard Past President of the Friends of Soldiers’ Memorial Avenue, Queens Domain, Hobart.
- Bernie Geard* Stalwart and supporter of St Virgil’s and the OVA
- Kieran Brown Teacher and outstanding contributor to St John’s Ambulance
- Richard “Dickie’ Harrold OA Outstanding contributor to community through numerous charitable and sporting organisations.
- John Kelly Business leader, supporter of the film industry and community contributor.
- Fr Richard Ross Priest and minister to the youth of the Hobart Archdiocese.
- Fr Chris Hope Long serving priest of the Hobart archdiocese and Biblical scholar
- Maj Gen (ret.) Michael Keating Distinguished army career and past chair of the Australian Republican Movement.
- Dr Paul McCartney Internationally recognised ophthalmological consultant and surgeon
- Dominic Sharpe Co-founder of The Cambodian Children’s Orphanages.
- Brian Sertori (1928-2007)* Outstanding service to the St Virgil’s and St Mary’s Parents’ and Friends Associations
- David Mackey - Professor of Ophthalmology, University of WA
- Bruce Haley OAM, Real Estate, Travel Agent, service to music, charity and church.
- Michael Harmer - Lawyer and philanthropist
- Fr Graeme Howard - 50 years of dedicated priesthood in Tasmania
Colonel (ret.) Anthony McGee AM - Australian Army, Chair of Centenary Committee
- Paul Lennon - former Tasmanian Premier
- Fr Terry Yard - long serving Priest of the Diocese
- Adrian Coetzee - businessman, community worker and long serving President of OVA
- Graeme Rainbow - SVC teacher and long time supporter of OVA
- Michael Kent AM - successful businessman and community philanthropist
- Martin Healy - electrical engineer
- Michael Colrain OAM - service to performing arts, musician and community
- Fr Peter O'Loughlin - long serving Priest of the Diocese
- Des Hiscutt JP - former MLA
- Community Leader and Public Servant, Peter Patmore
- University Chemistry Professor Brian Yates
- Local Government member and Businessman R T ‘Tem” Fish
- Lawyer and L’Arche Director Brian Doyle
- Australian, Tasmanian and English County Cricketer Michael Di Venuto
- Diplomat and Ambassador Pierre Hutton
- Former Tasmanian Governor William Cox
- Lawyer and University of Tasmania Chancellor Damien Bugg
- Champion Swimmer and seven time Olympic water polo Official John Whitehouse
- Tasmanian State Public Servant and OVA Life member Roger Smart.
- Former Tasmanian Premier Doug Lowe
- Former Senator and now Parish Priest Michael Tate
- New South Wales County Judge and Rhodes Scholar Richard Cogswell
- Current serving member of the Australian Defence Forces Major General Michael Crane AM, DSC
- Former member of the Legislative Council and sportsman Anthony Fletcher
- Former Australian Amateur gold champion, Peter Toogood
- Long time religious Brother Jack Higgins.
- Australian U19 cricket captain and Tasmanian wicketkeeper Sean Clingeleffer.
- The Archbishop of Hobart Rev Adrian Doyle AM
- Cartoonist Geoff Hook
- Former State Public Servant and Sportsman Ashton Shirley
- Former member of the Legislative Council and Glenorchy Alderman Kenneth Lowrie OBE
- Former Judge Henry Cosgrove OA (passed away in 2010)
- Federal Court Judge Peter Heerey
- Rhodes Scholar and Olympian Simon Hollingsworth
- Founder of Assissi Aid Program Barry Counsel.
- Olympic rowing gold medallist Doctor Scott Brennan OAM.
A number of past scholars have been added to the Roll of Honour posthumously:
- Harold Gatty, who played a major role in the history of World Aviation
- Sir John Galvin, a director of various South East Asian companies and a substantial benefactor of the College
- Noel Monks, former world renowned Journalist and War Correspondent
- Lion Morgan, Army Brigadier and Military Leader,
- Leo Doyle, Lawyer and Politician and the first day boy enrolled at the College in 1911
- Sir Ackland Lord, Businessman and Entrepreneur and Financier of AA Lord Homes.
- Robert Hamilton - former SVC teacher and stalwart of OVA
- Air Vice Marshall Sir Wilfred Dixon KBE, MB, BS, FCRS, FRCSED, DO - senior RAF surgeon
- Air Vice Marshall Alan Charlesworth CBE, AFC - Commander of RAAF
- Phillip Vincent - activist for the disabled.
- Barry Woods - Meteorologist and College benefactor