St Virgil’s College Junior School is an all boys Catholic primary school catering for boys in Grades 3 to 6. The Junior School sits in a central city campus next to the magnificent St Mary’s Cathedral.
St Virgil’s Junior School is small in size with a student body of 140, ensuring a high level of personal interest in each boy.
Our curriculum is comprehensive, interesting and challenging and encourages boys to strive for personal excellence in all endeavours. Our dedicated teaching staff focus on providing an engaging, challenging and supportive learning environment that is tailored to the needs of boys. Our staff implicitly understand that boys have different learning needs and styles and provide opportunities for boys to grow and experience success.
Our Learning Enrichment Area not only supports students who may be experiencing difficulties, but also provides opportunities for extension and enrichment. We are focused on the boys’ literacy and numeracy skills and offer daily one on one sessions for those boys who need extra assistance.
Specialist teachers provide lessons in Art, Physical Education, Japanese, Music and Library.
In addition to this the College provides:
- a well organised and varied sporting programme. In addition to swimming, cross country and athletics, we also offer a number of team sports including football, soccer, futsal, hockey, basketball, water polo, flippa ball, touch football, tennis and badminton. Boys are expected to participate in at least one team event each year.
- a comprehensive music programme where the students not only have their weekly class music lesson, but also the opportunity to sing in our choir, learn a musical instrument and also join our Junior School Band.
- a camp experience for all grades.
- extension experiences in woodwork, geography, leadership and drama.
- a safe environment where students and their families are very welcome and valued.
If you wish to find out more about the College's Junior School or would like to arrange a tour please do not hesitate to contact the College.
Thank you for your interest in St Virgil's College.
Mrs Fiona Chambers and Mrs Jo Messer Heads of Junior School
Our Teaching Staff
- Early Learning Years Director - Mrs Sandra Mazengarb
- Grade 3 – Miss Emma Reardon
- Grade 3&4 – Mrs Mary Weston
- Grade 4 - Mr Peter Rasmussen
- Grade 5 - Mr Brent Scanlon
- Grade 6 - Ms Amelia Daun
- Grade 6 - Ms Mikayla Lack
- Music - Mrs Jo-Anne Kemp
- PE – Mrs Karryn McCullagh
- Japanese – Ms Marissa King
- Art – Mrs Janet Stary
- Library – Mrs Janet Stary
- Resource Centre Coordinator - Mrs Jenni Sutton
- Learning Enhancement Coordinator - Mrs Josephine Messer
- Religious Education Coordinator – Mrs Fiona Chambers
- Heads of Junior School – Mrs Fiona Chambers and Mrs Jo Messer
Non Teaching Staff
- Learning Support Officers – Mrs Jill McCarthy, Mrs Julie Stokes, Mrs Theresia Thomas, Mrs Nicole Read, Mrs Mandy Tollard,
- Office – Mrs Michelle Moate, Mrs Olga Leon
- Grounds – Mrs Gina Graves